Founded in 1856
St. Peter's Ev. Lutheran Church began with the grace of God working through the tireless efforts of Pastor Friedrich Schmid and the German immigrant families whom he served in the Plymouth area.
Pastor Schmid arrived in America from Germany in 1833, making his way from New York to Detroit, and then on to Ann Arbor where he had been assigned by his mission society. Along the last leg of his journey he met Lutheran people who requested that he serve them also. Schmid did not forget these people, and by 1836 he not only served Salem Lutheran Church in Scio Township, but also a circuit of groups in Plymouth, Monroe, and Detroit area. After his father-in-law gave him a horse in 1839, Schmid's Circuit expanded to include churches in Saginaw, Lansing, and Allegan.
The Plymouth Congregation purchased a log building in 1855 and formally organized in 1856. A larger church building was constructed in 1883 and was located on Spring Street in Plymouth (Old Village). Due to growth in the congregation a larger church was required with a school. The present church building was dedicated to the glory of the Savior in 1955.
St. Peter's Ev. Lutheran Church is affiliated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). The WELS is a federation of 1200 congregations throughout the nation, which also supports mission efforts throughout the World. A full range of Music and Choirs are offered which further enhance the worship life of the congregation. St Peter's offers a Christ-oriented preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. Also offered are Sunday School, weekly Bible Study and organizations for all age groups providing opportunities for fellowship and service.
We invite you to browse our web site to learn more about our church and school.
St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran
Church and School
1343 Penniman Avenue
Plymouth, Michigan 48170
Sunday Worship: 9:30 am
Monday Worship: 7:00 pm
May through September
age 3 to 8th grade
September thru May
Adult Bible Class:
September thru May